Are you the type of person who pays extra attention to how a room or an office is decorated? If so, you may want to consider a career as an interior designer. There is more to this job than simply knowing how to decorate a room. A professional interior designer is an individual who decorates/furnishes the inside of a room according to the regulations of federal, state and local rules. Therefore, how much training do you need?
1. An interior designer needs to have a basic training on how to read blueprints, understand flammability and toxicity standards. At the same time, to be able to properly communicate with engineers, architects, and clients. Also it is necessary to obtain a bachelors degree on a college approved by FIDER (Foundation for Interior Designer Education Research)
2. You can not be a professional interior designer without at least knowing the basics on computer management. For that reason, it will be recommended if you include CAD (computer-aided design) in your college electives.
3. Many schools offer internship programs. If your school does have an internship programs apply for one, after all it is very common to obtain a job through your contacts.
4. Every state has it own rules and regulations, therefore you must contact your state’s regulatory agency and inform yourself on all the licensing requirements you need to start working as an interior designer. You can also visit the NICDQ (National Council for Interior Designer Qualification) website where you will find a sate-by-state licensing requirements.
5. If you want to join a professional organization in order to succeed in the designing world, you must first take the NICDQ qualification exam. However, before you take the exam you must complete two years of field work, which is a requirement to receive your license.
You will meet and closely work with people of different cultures and background. You will also design the interior of a variety of places such as art galleries, boutique stores, corporate head offices, hotels, law firms, museum stores, restaurants, spas, and doctor’s offices. In fact, this career has become so popular that people are not only seeking a designer to decorate a home or office, many people are also looking for designers to decorate the interior of yachts!
Although the training required is not as easy as obtaining a bachelors degree, there are several benefits unique to interior design. These include but are not limited to, having a well paid professional job, freedom, fun, interesting and the ability to meet many different kinds of people. By becoming an interior designer you will be apple to make all your creativity a reality for people to see and appreciate.